We have worked hard to change our new-format Globe Theatre Guided Tour at this time and have consequently adjusted our tour route, opening hours and the number of tickets available per tour. Please make sure you book your ticket in advance.
For those visiting the Swan Bar & Restaurant, you can read our guidance below and contact Swan directly for table reservations.
We want you to feel confident and comfortable when visiting (and working at) our site. Browse the sections below to find out more about:
- Which spaces are currently open
- Our guidance on social distancing and cleaning and hand sanitising
- How our staff have been trained to support you at this time
- Our guidance on wearing face coverings
- How changes influence access
- How we’re taking part in Test and Trace
If you or any of your household are feeling unwell, showing Coronavirus symptoms or have been told to self-isolate, please do not visit us. Instead, please contact us and we can arrange to move your ticket(s) to another date.
We have made lots of operational changes and received Public Health England’s ‘Good to Go’ accreditation prior to recommencing our Guided Tours.
At the moment, the only spaces open at Shakespeare’s Globe are for our pre-booked Globe Theatre Guided Tour and those visiting the Swan Bar & Restaurant. We are not ‘fully’ open. All other indoor spaces at Shakespeare’s Globe are still closed to the public, such as our Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, Foyer, Cafe and our staff offices. The Globe Theatre is still closed for performances. Note that whilst our physical shop is closed, our online shop is now open.
When attending a Guided Tour, go to the entrance by the Groundling Gates on Bankside (SE1 9DT, opposite the river) where a staff member will greet you at an outdoor information pod. Interaction with us is contactless and you can show your booking reference on a device and don’t need to print anything out or hand anything over.
As a roofless theatre, the tour takes place across open-air areas only and will allow visitors to see the outdoor Piazza and then the open-air yard, lower gallery and stage of the Globe Theatre. When the tour finishes, the you will exit via the Piazza.
Our tours last 50 minutes and will run between 10.00am and 4.00pm (last tour departs 3.00pm).
The area of Bankside, where we are located, has many eateries and other businesses that are beginning to reopen. Please make arrangements prior to your visit, for example, contact restaurants directly to book tables in advance.
Our usual security measures are still in place – please note that cloakrooms are currently closed and no large bags are allowed on site.
Read our new step-by-step blog should you require further guidance on visiting us at this time.
CLEANING AND HAND SANITISING
During a tour, there will be hand sanitiser stations available for the public and staff, in multiple locations across our site. If you wish to use soap and running water, toilets will be open and a staff member can show you where these are (they are next to the Supporters Wall). If you wish to dispose of any wipes or other personal rubbish, there are bins located on the Piazza.
We have enhanced cleaning at this time. Toilets are cleaned hourly and any ‘high-risk’ surfaces like door handles will be cleaned every 30 minutes.
Our tours are ‘contactless’:
- When you arrive, you can show your booking reference on a device and don’t need to print anything out or hand anything over to us.
- You need to book your tour in advance, via our website, but if (for whatever reason), a payment needs to be taken on the day, this will be contactless, with no cash being accepted and information browsable on your own devices via QR codes.
- To reduce contact with ‘high-touch’ surfaces, the tour route has been adapted to ensure that the doors that link our open-air spaces can be left open for you.
- To protect you at this time, please try not to touch spaces during the tour. If a Touch Tour is required or you have any other access requirements, please contact us in advance of booking your tickets.
When attending a Guided Tour, you will be in the hands of our Visitor Experience team, which includes tour guides, welcome staff and onsite duty management who have all been trained with the relevant workplace Coronavirus risk assessments and understand how to adapt accordingly at this time. They are on-hand to support you during your visit so please voice any questions and know that we are here to help.
All staff will sanitise their hands after every tour (every hour). They will be wearing see-through face-shields and may choose to wear gloves. Staff members located in our information pod will be behind perspex, for both staff and visitor safety.
We strongly encourage those who visit us and can do, to wear a face covering, for the comfort and safety of other visitors and staff.
When you attend a tour, our staff will be wearing face-shields.
Please let us know in advance if you or anyone in your party has any physical access requirements (such as step-free or wheelchair access). You can type these details into a box during the online booking process.
If you have any other access requirements (such as needing a Touch Tour or a BSL interpreter), please email us before booking, so we can discuss what adjustments we can put in place.
TEST AND TRACE
SWAN BAR & RESTAURANT
Swan are delighted to welcome you back and are following new safety measures, including:
- Reduced seating and an adjusted layout front (and back) of house, to ensure a 2m social distance, including a one-way circulation route and signage to guide you at all times.
- Face masks or face coverings worn by waiters, bartenders and other staff members.
- As part of the Government’s Test and Trace initiative, you will be required to share your contact details at booking or on arrival (which will be kept on file for up to 21 days and then deleted) – you can do this via a QR code or speak to a member of staff when you arrive if you don’t have access to a smartphone.
- Hand sanitising stations available.
- Available toilets will have extra cleaning and a limit to the number of people entering at one time.
- Table service orders only (you will be encouraged not to wait at the bar).
- QR code menus, which are downloaded digitally via an app, or if you do require a single-use paper menu we will dispose of these once you’ve handled them.
- Contactless payment encouraged.
- Staff following COVID-19 working procedures, including:
- Being encouraged to complete health screening questionnaires to confirm their good health and no employees will work if anyone in their household is unwell.
- Following a new cleaning schedule which includes sanitising ‘high-touch’ areas every 30 minutes.
- Washing and sanitising hands regularly.
- Ensuring pick-ups and deliveries are contactless.
Read Swan’s COVID-19 policy on their website.